Friday, May 7, 2010

Oh My Gawd, I Just Compared Myself to a Car


There are many different kinds of infertility; primary infertility, secondary infertility, even male factor infertility. There are also a number different medical afflictions that can keep you from having kids: PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome), bicornate uterus, LPD (Luteal Phase Disorder), Endometriosis, etc. I certainly sympathize with all women who struggle with infertility, and I can't imagine how it must feel to be diagnosed with one of these problems. My struggle is a little different, however. I have what is commonly (at least on the infertility blogs) known as "unexplained" infertility. That means that there is simply no apparent medical reason why we should not be able to naturally conceive a child. Sometimes I feel like my husband's truck, which has definite problems driving across more than one county, but doesn't seem to have a definitive problem. We’ve replaced components, asked mechanics, and even taken it in to the dealer. No one seems to be able to tell us what the problem is. This presents a unique predicament: how do you fix something when you don't know what's wrong? When you can put your finger on the issue, you can determine a course of action. The same goes for medical problems. If you know what's ailing you, a treatment plan can be agreed upon. When you're unsure of the diagnosis, however, you don't know how to proceed. You don't know what will make you better.

So, as much as I would dislike being diagnosed with any of the aforementioned medical problems, it would at least be nice to know what my particular brand of hiccup is, exactly. Because, just like taking your car in for a mystery fix, guessing the cause of infertility can end up costing a bundle.

No comments:

Post a Comment