Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Two-Week Wait: A Story of Addiction to My Calendar


Well, here we are. It's day 1 of the longest 14 days of my month: the two-week wait. The two-week wait is evil. It messes with your mind and makes you do the one things that your high-school guidance counselor told you not to: wish your life away. If I could manually make time go any faster during these next two weeks, I would sell my soul for the answer. (Well, if I hadn't already sold my soul to have a child, that is.) There are two days in the month that make me crabby the moment I wake up: the 1st day of the TWW, and the day the TWW inevitably ends. In the interim, I am an extremely agitated, irritable, and vastly impatient individual. I mark the days off my calendar with vigil, striking through each number as if blacking it out will scare its neighbors into passing a little quicker. Virtually nothing seems as important as day 28, which makes it hard to concentrate on anything else. Believe me, this does not bode well for stacks of grading, students who need extra help, or that pile of clothing that needs sorting in the corner. You literally want to throw your hands up and say, "Seriously, who cares about this stuff when I may or may not be carrying the impossible miracle that is life?" I can only imagine that, if this all works out, I might be tempted to get away with the excuse of, "Seriously, who cares about this stuff when I AM carrying the impossible miracle that is life?" I will totally let myself get away with that one on a regular basis. Trivialities be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment