Sunday, October 10, 2010

Things Not to Say on Your Lunch Break

The problem with telling everyone that you're going through infertility is that they become, much like you, very aware of your quest. I want people to know about what I'm going through so that they will be sensitive and not ask me ridiculous questions like, "oh, has teaching put you off of having kids of your own?" Recently, however, I discovered the reason why you should not divulge too much information - people might actually pay attention.

I accidentally let it slip that my husband and I were not going to Moab over fall break because we were, instead, going to go through another IUI procedure. (Sorry, '101 in 1001 List'.) You know that moment in a crowded room where you're indulging in a private conversation and the whole group suddenly becomes quiet - leaving everything you've said to hang in the air like a Shakespearean soliloquy? Well, that's what happened. From explaining to one person, I had to shift to explaining to everyone that I'd be going in this week for a "procedure". Yes, part of me thinks that they should just deal with it, much like I've dealt with their angst about divorces, ailing parents, and unruly offspring. The other part of me, however, instantly realized that my failure (should this round prove to be one) will be even more substantial when I have to repeat it to everyone in that room who asks me in two weeks "how I'm feeling", wink, wink. I love the words of encouragement that I receive when I let people know how hard this has been on me, but I don't want to hear the expressions of pity and astonishment when it doesn't go as planned. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. At the very least, my last RE appointment got me out of a 1/2 day of conferences. I'll take an ultra-sound wand over conferences any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment