Monday, August 29, 2011

Nothin' Like Being Shamed by a 13-year old...

I teach middle school, in case you couldn't tell by my plethora of posts during the summer days...(now they will be less frequent).

Today, one of my past students came in to visit with me. We were chatting away and suddenly, she says, "You know, we were just talking in cross-country about you. We were like, 'why doesn't Mrs. S have any kids?'" She looked at me expectantly.

Gulp. So, I gave her the old "120 of you teenagers at a time is enough for me!" routine and that seemed to satisfy her. She did give me the benefit of the doubt, though, because she said that she defended my (childless) honor by saying that I'd have kids when I was ready. If only she knew I was ready three years ago...

I know that this is a silly reason (just one of about 1,001) for wanting to have kids of my own, but here it is: I want my students to be happy for me. I just know that they will love to come down from the HS when they watch their younger siblings' sports games and see my little baby. Is it weird to want to show off your offspring to other offspring?

2 comments:

  1. Nope, not weird at all! My 5th graders loved finding out I was pregnant this last school year. They would come and ask what size the baby was and at the football game last Friday, a bunch of HS students came up and touched my belly and were asking all sorts of questions...I can't wait for my students to see the baby! We are such a big part of their lives, its only normal to want to share a baby with them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not weird. I think wistfully about one day being able to tell my former students who have moved on to grad school and jobs that I'm pregnant. The ones who write and ask "Sooooo, what's new??" who have already lapped me twice in the baby department. I remember watching how excited our students were when my colleagues were pregnant and I just wish it was me.

    ReplyDelete