Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Greatest Compliment

This past weekend, I took 53 very deserving students to an exciting CU men's basketball game in Boulder. I did this because this trip was my baby - one of my students won an essay contest that I entered all my students in. The title of the contest was "Winning Attitude", and focused on being a leader (showing sportsmanship, a positive attitude, etc.) in your community. One of my little ones wrote an essay about helping her team to win a softball game. I was so glad that she won, not just because she is a wonderful student, but because she's a girl. I know, men, what you're thinking. But in reality, women are not as encouraged or rewarded for their efforts in sports, and I think it was important for a young lady to win this award and garner the respect and recognition that she so rightly deserves.

The trip was arduous, but it was well worth it. I was brought almost to tears when a few of my young men reached out to the baskeball players, Kansas and Colorado alike, to high-five them. The players, exhausted and frustrated, took just a second to acknowledge my students and gave them a slap on the hand. It was magic. I was speechless. Every student should have these experiences in their lives. Every - last - one.

No comments:

Post a Comment