Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Okay, Okay...I'll Give Them Away!

Long before a friend of mine told me that it was bad luck to buy baby clothes before you're pregnant, I've been buying baby clothes before I was pregnant. Old wives' tales be damned! It seemed the prudent thing to do: buy things on sale or when you see them new at the Goodwill. I am a bargain hunter by nature, and find it hard to pass up a good buy. Not to mention, it seemed as sure as the coming winter that I'd be pregnant before long, and you wouldn't pass up buying a really cheap sweater on clearance just because it was out of season, would you? Certainly not. So now I have two giant boxes of assorted baby paraphernalia sitting in my shed, collecting dust (so to speak). I'm beginning to wonder: are the pre-meditated purchases my fertility kryptonite? Maybe, just like the woman who gives up and then magically becomes pregnant, if I throw all the stuff away (read: give BACK to the Goodwill), I will instantly fall pregnant and give birth to twins! Oh, the packrat in me can't bear to part with the wealth of goods, but the superstitious infertile is beginning to wonder…

3 comments:

  1. How about you just unload them at my place? I'll keep them safe until they're needed. That way, it's like you've given them away, but then you don't have to re-buy when the time comes. Or is that trying to be too sneaky? Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should never have said that!!!! I was just teasing you...but that will teach me to NOT open my mouth about such things again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, Sa-rah...who would have guessed? I thought all it took to get pregnant was a cheap drink and a one-night stand. Isn't that what our sex-ed teachers told us back in high school? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete