Sunday, June 20, 2010

It took my cherry tree three years to bear fruit. (Is it sad that that's uplifting?)

It's been three years since we planted our little cherry tree in the front yard. In year one, it simply sat there and got used to being in the ground. That was okay. In year two, it shot up about three feet and seemed to be acclimated to living in the ground. That was encouraging. Year three brought just a handful of cherries, which didn't really ripen and fell victim to ravenous chickadees. We weren't surprised. This year, we weathered the spring and watched hundreds of little, green cherries ripen and turn yellow and red. We were ecstatic! We hadn't expected much from the leafy newcomber to our front yard, and its yield was well worht the wait.

It wasn't even a case of being patient, because we didn't really know that the tree was going to produce at all. That's what I'm hoping my body is going to do - give me a fantastic surprise. I've come to terms with our other options and am constantly looking forward. Nevertheless, a part of me is always wondering if the impossible is possible. It's been nearly three years, so I figure that if my body is on the same natural timeline as a fruit tree…it shouldn't be long now.

No comments:

Post a Comment