Friday, July 2, 2010

I've Got a Bun in the Oven. No, Really, I'm Baking Something.

I may not be able to pull a Catherine Heigl (a-la 'Knocked Up') and produce a baby on a whim, but I'll tell you what I can do: make a killer meal. That's right - because I don't have kids running around, I can achieve culinary masterpieces like from-scratch Cinnamon Raisin bread and delicious Asparagus Parmesan Risotto. Since I don’t have to work around naptimes and coloring contests, I can have the house smelling like rising dough and baking bread by the time my husband gets home from work. (Don't worry, the irony of trading one domestic trap for another is not escaping me altogether.) I can ride my bike to the store to pick up much-needed accoutrement, like saffron and chipotle chili powder, AND I don't have to worry about stocking up on diapers or formula while I'm there! I can make things that most kids would take a "no thank you bite" of and go running for the pizza rolls. Why can I do all this? Because I'm not a mom, but I'm awesome. Be awesome today, my friends. (Even if you cheated and used a bread-maker. Shhhhh.)

2 comments:

  1. What a great post Ashlee! Just what I needed!

    Also, can I have your Asparagus Parmesan Risotto recipe it sounds so yummy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure! It's delicious...and easy.

    This recipe is about the same (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/asparagus_risotto/), but I don't use shallots, just plain yellow onion. Also, for ease, I don't cook the asparagus separately from the onions; I just sautee them together.

    I buy "il rise Beretta" Arborio rice: It comes in an orange box and can be found in most supermarkets...even in my tiny town.

    ReplyDelete