Thursday, July 1, 2010

That Joni Mitchell Was Full of It

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone…"

Ah, Joni, if only you ever struggled with infertility instead of drugs, you'd know that it is perfectly possible to mourn something that you've never even laid eyes on, let alone held in your arms. The lyrics really should say, "don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till everyone else you know has it and you don't, thereby making you feel like a freak of nature who is never going to fulfill her lifelong dream of investing your hard-earned wisdom of the world to a younger version of yourself (big breath)." It's not as poetic, I'll give you, but it's a far sight more truthful than the original. Can you love someone you've never met? Can you desire something that doesn't exist? Can you mourn the loss of a person who only has existed in your dreams? I think we all know the answer to that - a resounding "yes". And you better believe that I'd pave Paradise if it meant I get to be a Mommy. I don't care how many coconut trees I have to bulldoze.

No comments:

Post a Comment