Monday, July 26, 2010

The Joys of Non-Parenthood

In the latest installment of "I'm Not a Mom, But I'm Awesome", I'd like to discuss the ease and comfort of traveling without a baby / child. Recently, my husband and I got back from a trip abroad, and I must say: We had a fantastic time. We did whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted, and wherever we wanted. We weren't hindered by the length of time away from our hotel, the distance to a baby changing station, or the child-friendliness of our activities. At one point, we rented bikes and rode across a beautiful garden in Munich. There's nothing I love more than a spontaneous bike ride on a shady gravel path, dappled with sunlight and strewn with leaves. When you have kids, very little is spontaneous. It's planned. Pacifiers must be packed, snacks brought, naptimes considered…it's all very complicated.

So I may not be a mom, but I can get up and go, see, visit, relax, play, or ride. On the seat of my bicycle, 3,000 miles from home. Sans diaper bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment