Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Go Big or Go Home

When I do things - I DO them, man. So when my RE gives me drugs and tells me to produce some follicles, I produce some frickin' follicles! Actually, I produced a veritable gaggle of follicles. So many, in fact, that she highly recommended that I don't have intercourse over the next two weeks or I could give birth to enough kids to fill a kindergarten class. I had about 13 viable follicles. The hope, when you begin gonadatropins, is that you produce maybe two or three really good ones. At four and five, the RE makes the difficult decision of calling off the IUI or continuing with the possibility of multiples. But at 13, she puts the ultrasound wand down and has a talk with you that recalls your dad circa 1998. "You may not have intercourse over the next 7-10 days, young lady," she begins. "If you do, you could give birth to a litter of children, and I don't even want to go into how much trouble you'll be in with your mother." Okay, she didn't say that, but it was to that effect. So, my IUI is cancelled. Another month down the drain.

So sad. This month would have been perfect timing - just before Thanksgiving and Christmas. I might even have gotten to go home with the knowledge that I was pregnant, so that I could bear being around my sister and her gradually swelling belly. Another Christmas being barren. Joy to the world, indeed.

Nevertheless, at least now I know I can produce a good follicle or two. It is pretty hard to pick out decuplet names, anyhow. I was envisioning Katie, Kelly, Kameron, Kelsea, Kendra, Kevin, Kathy, Kora, Kara, and….Kermit. Sorry, Kermit.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I would so be having sex. I would push her to monitor you without taking anymore follistim, see if just one or two viable ones make it to the 20mm or above range and then make like bunnies.

    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to your blog and WOW is all I can say about your follicle production line! When I was on injectibles I only produced one follie...However, I responded to clomid much better (3 good sized follies). Sorry to hear that your IUI was cancelled. Every month is precious and takes having a lot of patience...Hopefully your RE will have a better plan set out for you the next time around. I would listen to your RE's advice and keep us posted. All the best!

    ReplyDelete