Sunday, October 3, 2010

Please help...

"Hope is the thing with feathers / that perches in the soul / And sings the tune - without the words / And never stops at all..."
- Emily Dickinson

Hello Blog World,

I need your help. Over the last few months, my husband and I have been wondering what our next step should be in our infertility journey. I've never been diagnosed with anything, and we've been TTC for about two and a half years now. I've previously been on Prometrium for three months, and we've gone through three IUI's (with no drugs save for a trigger 48 hours before insemination). I have very regular periods (sometimes light, but otherwise normal) at regular intervals. I don't experience any crazy cramping or discomfort. Due to my utter lack of symptoms, my RE thinks that we should go ahead with a gonadotropin IUI this month. I'm sceptical. I'm nervous. I'm going to go broke after three of these things.

DO THEY WORK? Does anyone know of someone who has had a baby as a result of an IUI? We're trying to figure out how many of these to do before we move on to IVF or adoption or surrogacy. I trust my RE only as far as I trust any medical professional, but I VALUE your imput even more.

I would really appreicate it if you could share your story / a story from someone you know. I need a little bit of reassurance that this is all going to be worth it...and not just a shot in the dark. I need a night-light!

Thank you,
Ashlee

3 comments:

  1. We got pregnant on our first gonadatropin IUI due to the fact that I had a thin lining evidenced only by regular, yet light periods. Skipping clomid means skipping the side effect of thinning out an already too thin lining. There were NO side effects to the gonadatropins other than a wee headache two evenings that went away with tylenol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Oak! I can't tell you how much your testimony means to me at this moment. I am excited to start this new chapter in our treatment, and every story makes me more hopefull. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashlee,
    I had left you a comment the other day but I don't know if I didn't finish the commenting process or what. Anyways, I wanted to tell you that I just got pregnant from an IUI with gonadatropins and it was a much better experience than clomid. It was my 3rd IUI and we are in the unexplained category. I hope all goes well and you have a successful cycle!

    ReplyDelete