Sunday, January 16, 2011

Little Victories

At the risk of being called the "crazy childless aunt" who hoards cats and calls her horses her "children," I have been working with horses a lot lately. Before this, my time was pretty evenly split between work and…well, work. The weekends would come and I would spend most of it with my husband and dogs, and some of it at school. While I have been diligently working on my 101 in 1,001 list, finding things to do and places to go, my "everyday" life wasn't really filled with anything that I could call a significant hobby, something I looked forward to doing on a regular basis. I've tried running, but that's very seasonal, and not even really my cup of tea. (I really do hate running, I just love what it does for my body.)

Two months ago, I met a woman who needed help with her horses. She'd taken in two new ones, both abused, and had little time to train her own and spend time with these needy ones. So, I started coming over and brushing, walking, riding, and desensitizing (to strange noises or situations) two of her horses. It is amazing. The gratification that I have not been getting from my work (most times it seems that the kids just hate what and how I teach), or my body (that still refuses to get any kind of pregnant), I am finding with these animals. Every time I work or spend time with them, they do something that they didn't do before. Like yesterday, Maverick (a beautiful Appaloosa) stood completely still while I brushed and cleaned him. He's never done that for anyone, his owner said. I did that! My love, care, and attention made a discernable difference! It feels good to have small victories, even if they are equine in nature. I had forgotten how good it feels to accomplish something tangible. I hope everyone has something like this that makes them feel helpful and appreciated. I wish I had found this a year ago…

4 comments:

  1. I need to find myself a hobby...something relaxing besides watching T.V. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing and fulfilling hobby you have found! I agree that running is seasonal (I haven't run in weeks!), and although I really do like running in the summer, I loathe it in the winter. Thus, I've given in to yoga. And my new puppy, Ava! Having someone/something else to care for and look after, someone who loves me unconditionally just because I feed her and clean up her poo, makes me feel very valued. I hope I can meet these two wonderful horses soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope things are going well for you. Haven't seen an update in awhile and just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you! Have a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insomnia struck at 2:30 this morning and Internet land brought me to your blog for the first time. I started with the most recent posts, was hooked and went back to the beginning. This post shows just how nurturing a person you are and how lucky your baby is to have you for mama.

    ReplyDelete