Tuesday, August 23, 2011

But I Want it Nooowwww!

At the risk of sounding like a much older version of Veruca Salt, I called my doctor's office today. I want an ultra-sound before my scheduled 20-week appointment. Is that wrong?

The last u/s that I had was at 8.5 weeks. At that date, I made my next appointment for September 1st. I had assumed that I would have another u/s at that point. Wrong. There will be no ultrasound for another seven weeks. That's almost three months between ultrasounds!!! Isn't that a bit much?

How am I going to check on my tater tot? What is she going to do at this next appointment then? Just poke my belly and make me pee into a cup? I need photographic evidence that my baby is doing okay! (At least until it starts kicking my ribs.)

I don't mean to be a pain in the rear, and I don't mean to be demanding, but I did wait a very long time to get pregnant, and I did go through a lot, so I don't mind paying out-of-pocket for a little peace of mind. Will they do that?

I called to see if they could fit it in, and not I feel like I am the problem child of obstetrics. We'll see what they say when they call me back. If not, I'll get my daddy to buy me a new doctor. Wait, no, that was Veruca. I'll just find my own dang doctor.

2 comments:

  1. I would request an additional one for your own sanity. Honestly. I have been lucky since I have twins, but you should be able to pay out of pocket if that's what it takes.
    Maybe you could ask for a 12 week one and they can do some sequential testing (for downs). That's what I had and you get a blood test and an ultrasound. Plus the 12 week one has been the best yet.
    Honestly, just insist. Tell your doctor it's been stressing you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally read that as Veruca Salt.

    You are perfectly within your rights (and not a problem child) if you request an NT scan (nuchal translucency) between 12 and 14 weeks (though I can't remember where you are right now...) Not all doctors recommend it as it has the potential to cause stress when nothing is wrong. But, even my "you've had one scan and you don't need another until the baby comes out" doctor at least offered it to me (while telling me that he didn't think it was at all necessary). I jumped at it, though.

    Even if you're beyond that time, though, you definitely have the right to ask!!

    ReplyDelete