Sunday, June 27, 2010

There's Something About Air and Sky...


"I was crushed; I went into the back yard underneath the sky and fought it out with myself. Somehow air and sky help me to control myself; I guess they bring to me the fact that after all in the big scheme I don't count much. Anyway, Nature comforts me and helps me to say, like Lincoln, 'This, too, shall pass away.'"
-Anne Ellis, Plain Anne Ellis: More About the Life of an Ordinary Woman

Since I've all but given up on running (once a fellow pregnancy-challenged friend suggests ditching something in order to beat the odds, I pretty much do it, whatever it is), I've taken up hill climbing. I know, I know, but I walk! I figure it's the jarring of feet hitting pavement that is the culprit, not the heart rate… I like to climb a hill near my house, which offers a view of the entire town. It's an amazing sight, and makes me feel very small. Sometimes I think we need that - to feel like the minute and un-integral part of life that we are. Our problems are very seldom unique, and even more seldom as dire as we like to think they are. Anne Ellis, my new hero, summed up my feelings pretty well in a passage from her second book: Plain Anne Ellis. This is a woman who lived in the San Luis Valley at the turn of the century with five kids and $.40 to live on a day. No husband. No job. No problem. I highly recommend reading this book if you feel like life is the smallest bit difficult.

Go outside, take in the air, the sights, and the endless opportunity that life affords. Even if the problem isn't neatly solved or dismissed, it will pass. You will find a way, forge a new path, and live to the fullest.(Though I'm pretty sure that Mr. Lincoln NEVER had to deal with infertility, so that sort of nullifies his stance on time healing wounds.)

2 comments:

  1. What a great and up lifting blog post. I am inspired. I recently started following your blog and love it. You are awesome Ashlee. I left something on my blog for you, under the comment you left me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ana! As you can read from my first post - I will be happy if just one person feels less alone after reading what I write. We If girls need to stick together and keep pasing the hope around like chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete