Friday, July 30, 2010

I Called the Witch Doctor...

Since I'm not going to submit myself to any proven scientific procedures in the next two months, I thought that this might be a good time to try some "alternative" remedies. (Not THAT one. I believe that's generally considered bad for women trying to get pregnant.) But I do remember my mom mentioning that her friend sells a product that can cure a…get ready for this…parasite that inhibits some women from getting pregnant. Apparently you can get this parasite from cats, and all it takes is a simple elixir to fix it. (I think she used a different word, but the whole thing conjures up images of Victorian-era sham artists who sold things like "Dr. Wixler's Magic Elixir". I think it's funny. Check out this website for more hilarious panaceas: http://thequackdoctor.com/). I also faintly remember reading an anecdote from "Getting Pregnant: What You Need to Know Right Now" (which, incidentally, I should have read a looong time ago), in which a doctor mentions a woman's miraculous pregnancy after being cured of just such a parasite.

Depending on how much this costs, I just might give it a try. If nobody else can figure out what's medically wrong with me, maybe it IS possible that something is eating my unfertilized eggs for breakfast. You never know.

2 comments:

  1. Its called Toxoplasmosis and its usually only an issue if you have outdoor cats or cats that catch mice in the house and eat them. Apparently it comes from the mice and can get in the cat poo. It was very sad for me to find this out after having my husband convinced he had to clean the litter box from our strictly indoor - mousefree cats. I would never had told him the truth but he heard it too. Le sigh, back to scooping litter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting.

    ReplyDelete