Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I Never Knew That About Parenting...Thanks for the Enlightenment

I love my art. As a part-time portrait photographer, I sometimes get to take photos of weddings, parties, and families. Despite how I may feel about the people I photograph (hello, can you say Bridezilla?), I always revel in the beautiful images that my husband and I are able to take. I pat myself on the back when I take a photo that I know will make someone happy. And because I love taking photos so much, I sometimes even put aside my own personal issues in order to take baby photos. Today we took photos for an adorable little girl who just turned one. I had an awesome time playing with her and getting her to smile. Slowly, our little model's mood went south, but not before we got a lot of unbelievable cute shots. And I had truly enjoyed myself until…

…grandma turns to us and asks (you know what's coming), "Do you two have any kids?" I'm about to answer with a delightful anecdote about my darling dogs, but she interjects with, "You probably don't want any after dealing with this temper tantrum."

Wow. You're right. My husband and I obviously thought that parenthood was all rose gardens and applesauce. As a teacher of 120 little darlings a year, you'd have thought I'd know about the inevitable mood swings of a child (which are, in fact, not so different at 11 than at 2), but no, I've remained oblivious to these dangers of child-rearing. You're right, lady, the last 10 minutes with your gorgeous (but slightly cranky) granddaughter, who has her mother's eyes and your chestnut hair, has turned me entirely against parenthood.

I think I'll go out and get myself another dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment