Monday, August 2, 2010

Cover Me, I'm Going In...

Wedding season is winding down, and I'm pretty proud of myself. Not only have I managed to get through about a dozen weddings without grabbing the bride, shaking her, and yelling, "start trying now, you poor, naive soul!", but I also took some pretty good pictures. I held it together through most of the father-daughter dances while thinking of how proud my own father would be if I produced a bouncing baby girl (Dad loves babies). I even managed to smile winningly while one grandmother after another barraged me with questions about my own body clock. Yes, I am married. No, I don't have kids. Cool it, Grandma!

But today is going to be different. Today, the bride is a good friend. This means that there will be, you guessed it, other acquaintances at the wedding. Acquaintances who know that we've been married for two years now. Acquaintances who remember me joking that I'd go away to grad school and come home with a Masters in Mommyhood. Acquaintances who will, no doubt, ask what the problem is.

These are the days I wish there was a rent-a-baby service. I could go to the wedding with my fake baby in tow, show her off, and look like any other normal couple. "She has your eyes," they'd say. "Suckers…" I'd whisper. Or maybe I could rent a set of emotional armor, so that when people asked hurtful questions, my Infertility Shield would deflect them from my ears. If only. I guess I'll just go armed with a smile and a joke about how teaching 120 rugrats is enough "kid" for me right now. Keep your attention on the bride, people.

(Oh, by the way I'm Not a Mom, But I'm Awesome - that photo is mine. It's pretty.)

3 comments:

  1. Love this! An "infertility shield" would do well, especially in this market. You should patent that one.

    I'm so sorry you've got endure the prying eyes today. I've found that, as the years go on, people have stopped asking. Which also sucks, but in a different way. Here's hoping that there won't be too many more wedding seasons for you to endure without that bouncing baby.

    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGGGGHHH! weddings, why is there always a constant stream of weddings???? I am off to a wedding this weekend, where all my VERY FERTILE cousins live...I could use the rent a baby service right about now. I smell a business venture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gals. The wedding was not so bad...we were actually doing the photos, so that kept me busy. But there were, of course, plenty of little ones that I wanted to steal away. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete