Thursday, October 28, 2010

I Am So Going to Kick A** At Being a Mom

I could never be tricked into saying that I'm a patient person - generally. If anything, I am the one who pulls the brownies out of the oven 10 minutes early and still enjoys eating them even though they're not even remotely done except on the very outside. But there is one area in which I virtually EXUDE patience: in my classroom. I can't count (no, seriously, that's why I'm an English teacher) the amount of times I explain a menial task every day. While I don't tolerate laziness, I do appreciate an honest question, and am so happy to help the student who helps himself. I revel in explaining a concept to a student and watch as they use their newfound knowledge.

I am going to be such a patient mom. I will explain the world to them with the calm, even voice of a teacher, and the heart of a mother. I'm not totally delusional - I know there will be days when I am tired, frustrated, and short with my kids. But, I will be acclimated to the rigors of dealing with dozens (if not hundreds) of questions a day. I'm waiting with bated breath to hear that one beautiful question that every two-year-old utters: "Why?"

No comments:

Post a Comment