Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Things I CAN Do...

Okay, it turns out that a nap and a few cups of green tea can do wonders for your mood. It's amazing how your mind and body work in tandem: when the body becomes too tired, the brain get all out of whack, too. I'm all better today, ready to tackle a new week and help to inspire a new generation of young authors.

I know that this blog is not supposed to be about my work, but sometimes my work is what makes me feel productive and useful, despite being infertile. I've been excited about this new project at school and thought I would share with you, especially since a few of my followers (you're awesome!) are teachers, too.

There's nothing that I value more than the written word. It educates us, placates our sense of loneliness, and allows us to escape the oft-tedious milieu of our own lives. Through the written word we find solace, comfort, excitement, and inspiration. Thus, there's nothing that gives me more joy than inspiring my kids (my 128 darling students) to write. We are participating in the Young Writer's Program through NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November. Beginning on November 1st, my students are going to write (you guessed it) a novel. It's been a tough two weeks trying to get them interested and confident in the project. They worry that they won't be able to write enough (you only have to get about a half-page of writing done every day to reach 2,000 words by the end of the month) or write a brilliant story (which isn't the point, the point is to write a novel - be it good or terrible). But as of last Friday, my kids were excited, energetic, and raring to begin their opus. Nothing makes me more proud than to hear, "Mrs.S, can we go over our word count goal? Can we work on this at home? Can my parents buy a copy of my book when it's done?" Sigh. I love the sound of eager learning in the morning.

For those of you thinking that this would be fun, please check out www.ywp.nanowrimo.org and look at all the great resources that they have to offer teachers. And if you're interested in writing a novel yourself (hello? Bucket list material?), sign up for NaNoWriMo and write a 50,000-word novel by Novemeber 30th. We may not be able to procreate, but our experiences, imaginative journeys, and literary prowess are gifts worth giving.

Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. It's OK for you to talk about other things besides infertility...I am a teacher too (Canada). Do you students have to write a novel each or together? I too love seeing my students get excited about their learning, especially writing as it is such a powerful tool. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but I've never had the guts (or perhaps gusto). But, this is the year! Tell your students their courage and motivation to write a novel in November has inspired me to finally complete this goal! Thank you Mrs. S and your 128 little darlings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remind me of my 8th grade English teacher - she was amazing. Your students are lucky kids to have such a passionate teacher!

    ReplyDelete