Saturday, November 20, 2010

Um...I Think I Just 'Outed' Myself


For the most part, I've kept my infertility issues between me, my husband, and a few close friends / family members. I have not talked about it publicly, and I certainly haven't ever posted anything on something as communal as Facebook. Until today. A "friend of a friend" posted this message on her status: can i get an 'amen' for all those who think pregnancy blows?!. (I'll even overlook the sad grammar and juvenile use of profanity.) Then, my sister, of all people, replies with the first wholehearted: Amen!!!. My sister! This is the sister that I get to see over the holidays, the one that I'm supposed to fawn over, congratulate, and smile with. And she thinks that pregnancy "blows"? You know what blows? INFERTILITY!

I have never begrudged those who are pregnant their joy and happiness. Posts that celebrate motherhood don't bother me - heck, if it weren't for motherhood, I wouldn't be here. I have been envious, sure, but have never said that they don't have the right to be excited. When they take that joy for granted, though, I take umbrage. I know that her comment was not meant for me, but I had to wonder how many of this woman's friends are struggling with infertility, and how much that comment may have hurt them. And the fact that my own sister, who should know at least a little bit about the pain of infertility and how lucky she truly is, was the first person to respond…it made me so sad and angry. I thought for a long time about how I wanted to respond. I came up with this:

There is nothing worse than wanting something with your whole heart and then having to listen to those who have it, complain about it. If they only knew…

I thought it was pretty decent. It conveyed some of my emotions: disappointment, sadness, vulnerability, longing…and yet did not accuse anyone or point fingers directly.

I got a wealth of responses, not only from my friends, but from other women I'm not particularly close to who have been effected by infertility. They offered the one thing that they knew could help - virtual hugs. They know that there are no words that can ease this brand of hurt.

It feels good to be out - people should be reminded every once in a while of how damn lucky they are. And they also need to know that there are appropriate channels for their whining - and a public forum like Facebook is not necessarily the place. (It would be like me whining that "having a loving husband is soooo time consuming" to all of my single friends. Cry me a river, they'd say.

It is good to know, though, that I have the support that I do. This week, I'm going to need it. Every finger should be crossed...and toes, too.

(The photo is of sweet pea blossoms, which are some of the sweetest-smelling flowers in all the world. You should plant some.)

6 comments:

  1. What a great response to the original message! I'm curious if your sister happened to contact you after you posted that?

    But what you did takes courage, and I admire you for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ladies! I don't want everyone to "walk on eggshells" around me (which is a nasty comment I read somewhere), but I do want them to know that they are very lucky to have avoided the struggle of having a baby. My sister has not contacted me, and was not one of the people who commented on my post. We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just brought tears to my eyes. Proud of you for doing that. I'm trying to get the guts to do the same thing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I would love to post something like that but DH would kill me. Every single day when my sister amoung other friends and relatives complain about the busy pace of their lives, I would love to write a cry me a river post and remind them of my infertility. Your post was so brave and you spoke for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A month after my first miscarriage, my girlfriends and I went out for a bite to eat and I had to sit across from one of my friends as she wined and complained about how awful her pregnancy was...I really wanted to punch her in the face or re-enact a scene from Mean Girls, but I bit my lip and tried to ignore her ignorance. Good for you for posting a response. Sometimes people just need to be told regardless even if they get it or not. I am pretty open with people about my fertility struggles...at first I felt guilty, but think of yourself as an advocate - it amazes me how once I start talking about it, how others start to open up as well.

    ReplyDelete