Saturday, January 1, 2011

Which Way to Go?

Just when you think you're all alone…you realize you're not. I had a very strange dream about an old friend of mine last night, and I caught her on Facebook chat this morning. She and I worked together when I was in college, and we were very close. So, I didn't feel like I had to dance around my TTC frustrations when she asked how I was. As it turns out, she also had some difficulty when she began trying for a baby. At 25, she had a miscarriage, and then it took three more years to get pregnant again. She now has two beautiful little girls and never went to an RE once. She and her husband went on a long-awaited vacation and, BLAMO!, they got pregnant.

I'm trying very hard to make a decision about this IVF - do it or not? Take the natural route or the scientific one? I know that it works for some people, but I also know that it doesn't work for a lot of people. I hate to be pragmatic about it, but it will fall in the two busiest months of the school year (State testing), and I'm not really looking forward to putting stress on top of stress. I know that my work shouldn't dictate my life, but it is my job and I do take a lot of pride in doing it well. That's hard to do when you're skipping out every other day for blood tests and ultrasounds.

Maybe the IVF can wait a few months. I don't have an discernable condition, so perhaps a few months of R&R on the TTC front could be beneficial…it's worth a shot, I guess. I know I'm not getting any younger (oh, hello Birthday, just around the corner), but I don't want to go crazy in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. Dh and I always thought that if we ended up doing IVF that it would be in the summer so we could do all the monitoring, etc and not worry about sub plans, principals etc. That being said however, if you have a really supportive principal, it might be good to go for it! That way you aren't stuck in limbo, waiting and wondering if it was best to wait or not. That might be more stressful!
    I hate state testing, ours starts in March and its so tedious on me and the students.
    Good luck with your decision, its a toughy!

    ReplyDelete