Tuesday, April 26, 2011

To Come Out...Or Stay In?

Does it make me a hypocrite if I only want to come out of the IF closet AFTER I have kids?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ashamed of my infertility, nor do I think that it's any big secret at this point. (Everyone close to us knows that my husband and I want kids...I made that abundantly clear when we got married three years ago.) I'm just trying to figure out what good it would do me if I made it public. Unless someone is going to take pity on me and foot the bill for my IVF in June, I'm not really sure if posting my trials on Facebook is going to be beneficial.

People already tip-toe around the topic of babies and are pretty carefull not to make insensitive comments around me, even in jest. I guess we're all promoting "awareness" in our everyday life. Some days more than others...

The one reason I do want to get more involved in NIAW is this: Advocacy Day. I firmly believe that it is wrong for insurance companies to deny coverage to infertile women. I would like to fight that fight...eventually.

I will try to think of a myth to bust this week, though! And then maybe I will subtly post it on FB as a note or link. Sneaky me.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have that problem, too. I think it's that I just don't want to hear about it. If people find out AFTERWARD, then I just won't give a damn what they say. But, somehow, before it just adds to the stress.

    ReplyDelete