Saturday, September 3, 2011

I Took a Picture

My mom has been begging me, my dad asked last week, and my step-mom mentioned it this morning: Am I getting a baby bump?

I just have this fear, a superstition, really, that if I buy a pair of maternity pants, or say "I'm pregnant!" to too many people, or take a belly picture, or even open the boxes of baby paraphenalia stuffed in the back of the shed...

...I won't say it. You know what I'm feeling. I tell myself, "Just get to week 8 and you can buy a baby book." Then, "At week 12, I'll take a belly picture." And yet I don't do those things.

Little by little, I do. I took 'What to Expect...' out of the box in the shed. I took a picture and sent is just to my parents. I told one more person at work. I keep looking at my ultra-sound pictures, rubbing my belly, and looking things up on the internet...like what kind of cake I want at my shower. Little things...intangible things...things not touched by my superstition. Every week I become more confident, more excited, and more determined. For you and because of you, little baby, I am happier every day.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand your hesitation...but enjoy this time, YOU ARE PREGNANT! Another good book I liked reading was "The Pregnancy Book" by Dr. Sears, it had lots of good information too! I'm SO happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I totally get this. I was so hesitant...I still am sometimes. People ask when I am going to pick out names or start working on the nursry - I just can't get there yet. Even though I am in the second trimester.
    Just keep going the way you are...slow and steady. At some point we will be ready to jump into the planning stage.

    ReplyDelete