Friday, April 15, 2011

Scared As Hell

I had my first IVF appointment today, wherein in recieved not one, but TWO ultrasounds (they forgot to do the antral follicle count on the first one), a FSH blood test, and a gigantic binder with a lot of scary forms and confusing information in it.
Holy crap. This is not like an IUI. This is going to be a thousand times more difficult, time-intensive, and expensive. Twelve THOUSAND dollars? You are talking to a girl who has a hard time buying anything at the Goodwill over $3.99...and you want me to pay $12,000? That's a lot of zeros!!!

I was extremely overwhelmed at the RE's office today. Maybe it was because they were busy and seemed rushed, or maybe it's because I simply did not do enough homework. Sometimes I can't tell if I ignore facts just long enough to convince myself to do something (and then be forced into seeing it though), or if I am just plain stupid. I did not really realize how different this was going to be. This isn't just another step...this is a leap.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think any amount of homework really prepares you for that first IVF appointment. It is so much different than an IUI. I was shocked. I felt totally calm going into the appointment then left feeling like I walked out of a hurricane or something. It is so much more intense. It felt more relaxed after a few visits, for me. Hopefully it will feel more comfortable for you, too. Good luck on the cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand. It is so easy to get overloaded. Sometime it seems the more homework I do the more confused I become. Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to IVF. I'm on day 6 of my IVF cycle and trying hard not to worry about it being cancelled on Monday. I'm hoping everything goes well for you and you have lots of good eggs this cycle. Sending positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you luck with it all. I know the first time I got info for IVF last year I totally freaked out about the masses of it. But, take it one step at a time. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 meet-ups with wandy? How did you get so lucky?! ;)

    I agree with the other ladies - I don't thin any amount of research will ever make you ready for that leap you're taking. Just remember you have a lot of women in this community to vent to, freak out to, and rejoice with throughout this journey. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it sounds like a major brain overload but YOU CAN DO THIS! I'm wishing you the best this cycle! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete