Thursday, June 16, 2011

Whoa, What a Day

Twenty-five eggs! I am so happy!!! The toughest stage is over with - the dreaded retrieval.

Here's how it all went down:

We woke up at 3:30 a.m. to leave for Denver at 4:00, and we got to the hospital right on time. (I usually go to a satellite office for my visits - this was the first time I'd been to the "real" offices.) I was nervous but very excited.

We waited for a few minutes before we (mom and husband were with me) were led into the pre-op room, where I changed into a fashionable gown and socks. I met all of the folks who would be helping me that day, probably about 10 of them, and then we got down to business. I got an IV, said goodby to mom and hubby, and then was wheeled into the op room. I remember lying on the table, putting my feet in the cradles, having someone put oxygen in my nose, and my anesthesiologist telling me she'd given me some "happy juice".

A doctor came in and asked "why I was there" (everyone asked that, just to make sure), and because I'd already answered it four times, I decided to say "for liposuction" just to see if I could get a laugh. As I drifted off into La La Land, I heard someone say, "Enjoy your liposuction." And that was it.

I woke up in a gourney where my mom and husband were sitting beside me. The nurse said that I had woken up a half-hour earlier, but I wanted to sleep. (Could that be the early wake-up call?) I jumped over to regular bed and started sipping ginger ale. I felt great. I couldn't stop saying how happy I was, and before I knew it there was a box of Kleenex on my lap, but I didnt' know how it got there. The nurse went over all the post-retrieval procedures, and I thought I was pretty coherent. I vaguely remember asking my mom to take a photo of my husband and I while I was still in my hospital gear, and in the picture I look like I had been bawling. Mom says that's why the Kleenex was there. Could've fooled me.

As I was leaving, I remember saying something to the effect of, "No offence, but I don't want to be here for that again." And the nurse said, "If you do, you should bring us some of those deviled eggs." Dear heavens, what had I been babbling about?  If you follow Nikus at Nikus' Road, you will know that she brought deviled eggs to her retrieval appointment, and I guess I was feeling guilty for not bringing anything to mine. (It was in a big hospital with doctors I'd never met before, though.) Seriously, what else did I talk about that I don't remember? I wish I had filmed the whole thing - I bet I was hilarious.

The two-hour ride home was easy, though I had one brief episode of extreme nausea. Then I put my head down and slept the rest of the way. I took a Tylenol when I got home because it did hurt a little and I was still a bit nauseous. I ate some chicken soup (of course) and drank a Sprite - common sickie practice.

Now, 11 hours after the procedure, I feel sore but so happy. I have 25 little embryos being presided over by a very nice embryologist. Tomorrow we find out who got fertilized and who didn't make the cut.

So happy. So positive. So thankful for all the texts and support I got throughout the day. And thankful for Tylenol, too. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow 25 is awesome!!!!!! Rest up this weekend and I look forward to hearing how many get fertilized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so very funny! We are really close to each other in this process! 25 is insane! I thought 19 was a lot, holy cow girly! They told me to stay away from carbs because it helps the bloat go down. Take it easy and keep me posted. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! What a great retrieval!

    Too funny about what you must have said. I hope you're feeling better soon!

    Crossing everything for the embies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god. That is an amazing number! How did you produce so many mature eggs!? You are a true rockstar!

    I can't wait to hear about the fertilization! How exciting!

    Whoop Whoop!!!

    http://missconception-ads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's great!!!!!So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete