Wednesday, July 6, 2011

First Purchase

Because I am so nervous / cautious about this pregnancy, I don't really want to buy anything pregnancy-related until a few more weeks into it. No books, no baby stuff, no parenting magazines, etc.

But I had to cave in and buy one thing: a new bra. My girls were suffering! Even my sports bras were cinching my sore chest so badly that I had to take a trip to the Wal-Mart. It was worth it!

I still don't have any other real symptoms - no aversions to food or serious cravings (other than salt). But I figure that my hCG is still relatively low, so I guess it's okay.

Oddly enough, even though I am still having a hard time accepting my "condition", I had to tell quite a few people about it. Though I know most women don't reveal their pregnancies until about month three or four, my family all knew that I was going through with the IVF last month, and therefore knew that I would have "news" of some sort. My parents know, as do siblings. I even had to tell a friend, because she happened to be in town (from three states away) the day after my transfer, and you can't really make that many excuses for lying flat on your back for 48 hours. "I'd love to go whitewater rafting, dear friend, but I really want to watch this 'Trading Spaces' marathon for two days!" It just doesn't work.

The hardest part about everyone knowing is remaining calm. I want to be excited, but I think everyone has a hard time understanding why I'm so tentative. I will feel better after a few weeks (like 35), but right now I just want to lay low and get through each little milestone. I can't even talk about borrowing your maternity clothes, twice-pregnant sister! Someone told me that "everyone feels nervous" during the first few months, but I can't help but think that we infertiles are extremely nervous. And we have a psycholgical right to be: For months or years on end, we've borne disappointment after disappointment, and we are conditioned to expect the worst. Every day, I wake up thinking that I am another day pregnant...even hour to hour. I am slowly begining to re-train myself to accept this new miracle: good news. It's foreign to me, but I'm begining to like it.

4 comments:

  1. I was the same when when I found out I was pregnant...it took me the entire first trimester for me to "accept" and get excited about being pregnat...You are very normal and I didn't buy ANYTHING pregnancy related during that time for the same reasons you are! We are extremely nervous because we have been through hell just to get the positive pregnancy test...I think its completely normal and I am praying that your baby continues to grow strong and you have a very safe, and easy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you! I am reading up on my pregnancy a bit and about what to expect, but I am not buying anything yet. We have also told immediate family and a few close friends, but that's it.

    I am excited that we are so close in our pregnancies. It's nice to share the ups and downs with someone who understands!
    Tomorrow I will be officially 6 weeks! Weird!

    MissC

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did not buy anything until I was like 17 or 18 weeks pregnant. I mean we had our hope items but that is it. I was too nervous and nauseous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone feels symptoms at different points (and some people "luck out" and never do!), so try not to stress that you're not feeling like shit. I felt amazing from 4w-6w4d... sore boobs, but that was it. I prayed for m/s so I "knew" I was pregnant. Then I spent the next month puking non-stop and praying my body would adjust to the pregnancy and QUIT feeling so nauseous... so be careful what you wish for! Enjoy the moment... it's hard to "feel" pregnant so early (heck, i'm 16w and still don't feel pregnant most days)... but that's okay, b/c you ARE! :)

    ReplyDelete