Thursday, July 21, 2011

What is this, college?

I live in a small town...have I mentioned that? Of the three OBG/GYNs in town, one I have been to and dislike, the other relies on the previous doctor to deliver when he's not available, and the third is new and no one knows anything about her. Sigh. So I've been calling around in the biggest nearby town to try and find a doctor that will see me.

In the first call, to a clinic that has two DOs, I was asked to submit my records for review, and if they accepted me, they'd call me back. What? Do you want me to write an essay explaining why I'd be a good patient? How about I come in for a try-out, wherein I demonstrate my excellent breathing technique and physical strengh?

The next clinic's receptionist said that she'd have to "check with the doctor" to see if she'd want to see me, considering I was an IVF patient. I feel like a leper. Ooh, IVF? I don't know...your baby might have two heads or something...

I want to stay with my current doctor and my lovely, kind, sweet nurse. I love them and they love me. But I suppose, since they love me, they have to set me free...boo.

3 comments:

  1. I can sympathize with the small town doctor thing -- I have a similar problem here.

    And, seriously? They'll look at your records and then decide if they accept you? How bizarre. That makes no sense to me -- they either have the opening or they don't.

    And, the IVF thing!! How obnoxious. Once you're successfully pregnant, it doesn't actually matter how the baby got there! Ugh.

    Wishing you lots of luck finding the "right" person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with the doctors in our small town too..I'm not very fond of them except one. We are trying to plan our delivery in the big city 3 hours away, but if all else fails, we have seen the doctor we like here in town off and on for appointments just as a back up! Good luck finding someone you are comfortable with, that is super important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang. That's annoying. Maybe you should try to see the new doctor in your town and see if you like him/her.

    ReplyDelete